Homeschool Planning for Multiple Children

I have struggled over the years to find a homeschooling planner that works for my needs.  I’m sure I’m not alone in this, and I have given up finding the perfect ready made planner.  I even thought I had to give up finding the perfect printable pages and I really didn’t want to try and create my own.  My Home Education Notebook and Homeschooling Planner fulfill different needs.  The Home Education Notebook is more long term, goal planning etc, and the Homeschooling Planner is more immediate, as in what we are doing right now.
Home Education Notebook/Homeschooling Planner

Last week though I did finally find a site that had more of what I was looking for.  A planner page that would actually accommodate all six children at a glance. {this link no longer works and I haven’t had time to recreate one yet -sorry!}

Two-page spread accommodates all the kids.

I also had found a Five in a Row planner page that I loved and wanted to use. {This planner page also no longer works, so I created my own}

FIAR Planning Page
So I started pulling together the different pages I found, printed them off and bound them with a GBC Binder.  For each month I printed out a calendar, then a lesson plan for each week, and finally the FIAR planning page for each week.  I then used a post it note tab to tab each of the months.
Monthly Calendar

I have room to list each child {across the top} and then two spaces left to add in the things we will be doing for Paths of Exploration and our bible study.  Three out of six will be doing Pathways and all the kids will be doing the bible study.

Room at the bottom for extras

The space at the bottom leaves me room to plan for Jacob’s vocabulary program, Jonah’s science notebook, and our read alouds.  On the other side I can list things we want to do for feast days, any other special days we are planning for, and for crafts/other projects we would like to work on.

I also have a few pages in the back to keep reading lists and a spot for jotting down notes.  I’m excited to have a planner that has enough room for everything thing, yet is flexible enough for our needs.  We’re ready for school to start!  Well, at least I am :)

Comments

1. Jessica says

Jen – Mary put up a linky on the Three Thinking Mothers site today. We are seeking lesson planning posts. Would you be interested in linking in??

2. Jen4Ever4Always says

Jessica, I think I was linking up as you were leaving me a comment! Thanks for the reminder :) It will be a great linky, I love reading about how others plan.

3. Cari says

I re-read your last post on curriculum per child/grade trying to figure out exactly what to do for my daughter. Reading this post is very interesting but overwhelms me at the same time since this is all brand new to me, and I’m only trying to figure it out for one kid this year. :\ I think I’ll have to email you privately to ask some specific questions…maybe this afternoon or tonight when I get some down time.

4. Jen4Ever4Always says

It’s always good to start out the year a bit organized, now staying organized is the challenge!

5. Kimberlie Meyer says

I am so excited about the FIAR planning page! Thanks for posting the link. I am going to use your ideas for creating my own planner. I only have one child this year but who knows about next year. I might like hs-ing so much I get brave enough to bring one or two more home. :)

6. Rachel Espino says

It looks very similar to the one I use. I haven’t used mine yet…this is the first year. I hope it works for me.

7. Hopeistheword says

I have a home-made system this year, too, after using Well-Planned Day last year. Yours looks great! Thanks fimor stopping by my blog!

8. Tifflynene says

Great job being ready and organized, Jen! You are always so inspiring this way. Love how you were so resourceful with your planner and thank you for sharing:) I take the easy way out and do my lesson plans on the computer but it’s not the best for long range planning. I’m just not good at planning out my school year in general…After 7 years, you would think I’d be better!

9. Robin says

Your planner looks great, Jen! I am still fine tuning mine. It seems like some days it works and others it’s lacking. The lazy side of me wonders if it’s necessary to keep records on everything since our state does not require it. Then my Type A kicks in, and I see the need to add more sections. SIgh~ still searching for perfect*

10. Living Waters by LeAnn says

I am going to send your link to my daughter and a friend. I like your ideas. Blessings to you!

11. Jen4Ever4Always says

Well-Planned Day didn’t work for me either. It’s beautiful, but didn’t leave me enough room to plan for everyone. Have you posted yours on your blog? I will have to check it out!

12. Jen4Ever4Always says

I have to keep reminding myself that I will never find the perfect one, because I know what you mean!